Navigating postpartum life is a learning curve for all Mums – but an area we can help you with is getting your body (especially your pelvic floor) to recover from the effects of childbearing and labour.
We strongly encourage every woman to do a 6 weeks postpartum check with a women’s health physio. It is done in addition to your 6 weeks GP check, regardless of whether you are symptomatic or not.
Common symptoms may include:
- Pain in abdominal/ scar tissue/ vaginal area
- Excessive bleeding
- Heaviness and bulging sensation when going for walks, or standing upright
- Abdominal separation
- Constipation and straining
What is involved in the 6 weeks postpartum check?
- A thorough history and understanding of your pregnancy journey, labour, and any pre-existing women’s health issues
- Q & A – we understand that you don’t know what you don’t know, so feel free to ask us anything and we will aim to fill in the knowledge gaps to reassure and educate. We aim to empower and give you as much info as possible for you to feel in control of your body
- Internal vaginal examination (with consent), to check for prolapse, superficial and deep pelvic floor tone, strength, activation pattern, any scaring issues, sensitivity, etc
- Recovery plan for you for the next 3 months
You are welcome to join our group Clinical Conditioning class to speed up the recovery process. We have over 55 classes per week.
We wish all women to have access to this 6 weeks postpartum check and that it is more commonly promoted in the hospital upon discharge.
It is necessary to check your pelvic floor. After all, you have just stretched this muscle over 100x its normal length to allow for a little human to slide through! Give it some love!
You can book your postpartum check with us today.